Friday, December 5

vinter

vinter haar. snow EVERYWHERE, as in "check your ear holes." Then it's that time of year that oddly people want you to be everywhere not caring how damn tired given the dark evenings and the presence of an old, sleeping dog.

That is the middle of my bed where each night the madam Beabs spools or she nests against the gate of my legs, leaving me a splinters worth of room on which I manage some sleep. Somewhere in the night I do something, I believe; roll over, free up a foot to place right under a snout. Something. I have no idea what. But she ends up foregoing nesting in the middle of my bed, all sixty pounds of her, for the loveseat (which is hers; you wouldn't want to sit on it) in the front room.


The front room is cold and she has opinions about that. Storm windows? What are storm windows she seemed to ask me the other day, before moaning and climbing up on the loveseat, turning round and round stirring the soup of a down throw. Good for her.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Gina,
    Oh, nothing beats the warmth of a good dog on such a winter's day. 60 lbs, eh? Try moving a 75 lb. brick.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. you mean Whiskey weighs 75lbs?

    wow.


    But you're so right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of you curling around herself, the queen, is familiar. Smeagol, more than he should weigh, makes me know that edge, that shimmy of 'goodnight'. We do that, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some kind soul has posted the black and white versions of "Not I" and "Godot" on YouTube. There must be a Santa after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina,
    It's even worse than that. He is 75 lbs of pure boxer muscle.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid, allergy-ridden as I was [including hair of dogs and cats], my grandparents' beagle, the dignified Henry, insisted on sleeping in my bed whenever they visited. I was the one who walked him. I was the one who fed him. So, naturally, he wanted to sleep with me. And, frankly, the feeling was mutual. So I endured the inevitable sniffles in order to enjoy his loyalty -- his fidelity, as it were.

    If the world had a beagle's fidelity, as a matter of fact, we'd probably all be better off.

    On a slightly different topic, I'm kind of amazed at how small the Beabs can be when she rolls up in a ball like that. Very compact. Very efficient.

    Sleep tight.

    - C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is so cute!

    I wish we could trust Little Bagel to sleep with us. ...and, Lola!

    It feels so nice to be surrounded by all that love as one sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post G. Cali comes up on these chilly nights for some petting, and lately stretches her spine up the length of my thigh as she lies on her side with my hand rubbing her belly. It's a tough life eh. I feel sad for the little cats and dogs that are outside at night. We see them huddled up when we walk early in the morning. "How could you do that to an animal?" I always think.

    Ah G, I just get such a kick out of reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete