Wednesday, May 23

Skeeter Pumpkin Eater





Oh, I have not seen Skeeter since early Monday morning. He has been having fun at his groomers/dog motel. A place you have not seen nor smelled you haven't ever dropped in. Smoke, incense, children, dog toys, hair dryers, faucets running. I rang yesterday and heard he was having a blast, but "a big boy, whew!". Translation: he doesn't know his own strength. Likely, he cannot stay at this place longer than the three days, two nights. But, after I pick him up ... He and I will have about an hour to get to our final, AT LAST, obedience class in which Skeeter has succeeded to be a dog for memory in all the wrong ways. The problem for him is that he has enjoyed the same facility (a place by far NOT the groomer's/dog motel), for day care where he runs and plays with dogs which he loves. He is a dog's dog full proof. So, reign him in for obedience and under free spirit me (I have more freedom than anyone on tv), and he's the worst people dog in the world. Tonight, the final gig is a moment where we'll be graded. Skeeter and I have not been able to practice since Sun-bloody-day. If I am once accused of not working with him (something implied last time) I'll let the dog grow and grab some face. I can't help it. Things always come down to the line for me ... Recall? But for things to come down to the line for the dog is cruel and we're both sensitive. But I miss him, too. I don't want to put him through the ringer. Frown.

9 comments:

  1. Aww, bless him. And you.

    My sister's lovely Scarlett, who hails from Louisiana and is a post-Katrina formerly wild dog rescued from all sorts of hell on earth sounds like Skeeter. She tries so hard to be a good girl, but you can't take the doggy dog out of her. They ended up giving her a certificate at obedience class because she really did give it her all, and yes, it was like Skeeter, her day care where she frolicked by day and had to be reigned in by night. She's a great girl, but unlike Whiskey and much like Skeeter, was a true rescue instead of a suburban transfer of circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should say MY BEST TO YOUR SISTER and to Scarlett. ahhh.

      Delete
  2. Oh, he earned the certificate. Truly, he associates Top Dog with day care (fun!) so he barks up a song, eats his leash, but sits and stays and "leave(s) it" on command. We (the trainer and me and everyone at Top Dog) were all simply enthusiastic about Skeeter's fondness for other dogs and so the doors flew open on day care a little too soon. Skeeter LOVES the trainer because he's a dog's guy as is the wonderful spouse a dog's gal. But in loving, Skeeter talks back as though to say in training, "this is for the horses. Up your patooty. You are joking, right? Lame, this is lame-lame-lame, grrr!".

    Skeeter and I will work through the summer, then I think we will land in agility in the fall (summer is too hot for agility).

    He's very happy to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done Skeeter, you big graduate you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. big indeedy! ;-) perfect adjective. perfect.

      Delete
  4. consistency, and dedication can work with even the most difficult dog - not Skeeter btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to meet you and your Skeeter one day. You will each get a massive hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you and Skeeter. glad he is your company in your new digs. He's a good boy. and ..... you.... a great dog Mom. xx

    ReplyDelete