Sunday, June 24

dragging

it's Sunday and I'm dragging. It's been a challenging week at work, late hours, and then emotionally the press here have been particularly and extremely difficult. Of the three comments I had left to respond to a particular story (there were nearly 1,000 comments in the end) reported in the NY Times, only one was approved. I must have written a jumble of upset.

I wish I had someone to hang around with even though I've never quite had much of that outside of when I was in college and truly I had no one most of the time to hang around with. Long winded of me to explain I went to Raleigh yesterday to Quail Ridge Books and Music Store on Wade Street, and I did to take signed bookmarks for my friend Bonnie Jo. I inserted these into her Once Upon A River (national bestseller) and I was received with as open arms the staff can be. I was shown around a lovely space of an independent bookstore that's been in business coming up 28 years. I saw reading chairs I envied (I so want two such chairs). Bookcases lined with every display and type of book; they had French magazines and I saw Patty Smith was writing on Virginia Woolf which I wish I could have read because, I'm sorry but....).

And I am off to the beach today solomente. Nothing unusual as nearly every visit to Lake Michigan I did so on my own. Always on my own.

I need the quiet and then the sounds of the water. For the record, I have the ability to hear still images, and most readily the flow of water. From where life has been captured, from photographs, I can hear the breeze through leaves and grasses. I can hear traffic and shoes and brakes and whistles. Sounds from still images. Big whoop, but when one sound comes to mind strong enough and without a still image to provoke it, seems to me a desire needs to be fulfilled. Waves.

3 comments:

  1. Queue entrance dog into scene.

    Dogs were created to stop humans being alone; dogs are always there for you, and if not, they need you there for them.

    I have to say, though, that a busy dog is not good for hearing stillness...I know.

    Your post touched me, Gina. I feel your solomente state, so I am very glad you have Skeeter. I used to feel alone often before I got Sindy, but since then, never. Not if she is with me. She annoys me as often as she charms me, but her love and devotion are the best. I wish you had someone to hang out with tho'. You will. In time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to me how many of us who met on Pete's blog are water-girls. I live 3 blocks from Lake Ontario, and need it near me to keep me grounded. A funny idea since water is not solid like earth, but I often wander down just to let the waves and the smell of the surroundings put me in a better frame.

    Enjoy yourself, Gina. i totally get where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U make an interesting point Anne Marie. So many of us are water girls. Wonder that significance?
    Gina, the water has always brought me peace. I enjoy my alone time, it is a very strong virgo trait.
    In time u will have more companys u are new to ur new place. Who wouldn't want to. Please excuse my typos, iPad is giving me difficulty in correcting. Or....I don't know how! Yet.
    Enjoy your company.
    As a young one, first with my drivers license, I would dive to the jersey shore, and sit either on the sand, or on the boardwalk and enjoy the sounds and peace.
    Xox

    ReplyDelete