Sunday, May 12

Gardening

Talk about a learning curve. Who knew radishes came first? Or how about, spinach is best in the earliest planting? I went to weed my raised garden bed yesterday, following steady rains and temperate sunshine...

If you look closely, you will see radishes ready for picking. Thing is, I had a row of these. Why radishes? Because Anne (with an 'e') Hathaway managed to let slip she ate humus with radish to lose weight. Okay. I like my ice cream.

Um, so I started here 


And ended here 

How many radishes can a gal eat to shed a single pound? Thing is, they're a first crop by a farmer learning late in her own season. These were ready last weekend to be harvested. Some of them are soft. Some of them don't taste like much until the last bite then BOOM, fiery hot. What you cannot do with radishes is preserve them (they don't freeze; they do pickle but....). BURP.

But burp.

I  left some for a rabbit, along with spinach root parts. See what she thinks. If I find her on her side burping, I'll take it as a compliment.

I had two rows of spinach and yum! I blanched and froze six quart bags. Wonderful. More weeding today and planting kale in place of the spinach.  I'll plant kale once more, then switch to beets. Also planting summer squash to replace the radish, and I will plant the summer squash at least once more.  I'll want to switch with brussel sprouts and beets. (I have garden beans, tomatoes, lima beans, strawberries, snap peas, and water melon.) This is all from seed except for tomato and strawberry (which I am having no luck with, the strawberry.

To attest to friendship, I am planting aster seeds and later sunflowers. These will go at the top of the garden. I have asters slow growing from seed on my patio. These are the starts :-)

Back to work!

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Gina! I am more than a bit impressed. That is fabulous! I wish I could be disciplined enough to grow some vegetables. Must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and your garden grows and will continue through the season.
    I grew lettuce and spinach through this past winter . Did not know it would be so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain reaches the heart with electrical speed, but truth moves to the heart as slowly as a glacier.Calibrators :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Graces says, gardening is surprisingly easy. I love garden-fresh produce and I commend you on your green/red thumb.
    Are you still eating and burping?
    How's the bunny?

    ReplyDelete